Author: Ryan Tuckwood
The best way to continuously achieve your goals and attract massive amounts of success into your life is to have staggered, measurable targets that are all in line with your overall expectations.
“Most ‘impossible’ goals can be met simply by breaking them down into bite-size chunks, writing them down, believing them, and then going full speed ahead as if they were routine.” – Don Lancaster
To get to where you want to go, you must first:
– Know exactly where you are
– Know exactly where you want to be
– Know exactly what actions it will take to get there
– Be 100% honest with yourself, always
Studies from Cambridge University, taken in 1989, asked undergraduates how many of them had written goals with action plans for their achievement, the initial findings showed:
- 3% had clearly defined goals.
- 13% had unwritten goals.
- 84% had no goals in any shape or form.
The 1999 follow up study of those same students revealed that, over a ten-year period, the 3% with those who had written personal goals/targets were on average ten times more successful than the other 97%.
Having long term smart goals is important, but many people make their goals entirely focused around things they wish to achieve in their life, so they then become very far fetched. There is nothing worse than having a great goal but having no idea if you are or aren’t moving any closer towards it. So, we teach our clients to have weekly, monthly, annual & life goals, follow the rules below.
‘LIFE’ GOAL SETTING RULES
– Review once per week (only takes 1-2 minutes)
– Say them out loud, confidently & assertively to another person
– Life musts can always change – we as human beings are designed to evolve
– What is important to you today may be different in 5 years
– Work with the best ideas you have for now
– Your goals will grow as you develop greater creativity
– Focus on 1 minimum & a maximum of 3 that you are going to achieve/move closer towards this year
YEARLY GOAL SETTING RULES:
– Decide on 12 yearly goals that clearly define what you want.
– Assign a month next to each one of those goals, be clear about when in the year you are going to achieve this goal.
– Review monthly
– Goals do not have to be set in stone, but only adjust if the goal becomes less desirable to you – not because you have found the goal too challenging or difficult.
MONTHLY GOAL SETTING RULES:
– In our opinion, monthly goals are the most important to your ongoing success.
– Verbalised at least once per week
– Once monthly goals are set, they cannot be adjusted, so think carefully
– Set two goals for each sector
– Having 10 goals per month is manageable and achievable.
– Ensure they are goals that truly motivate you
– Separated into 1-2 personal, financial, business/career, emotional (family/relationships) and health/energy
WEEKLY GOAL SETTING RULES:
– Weekly goals directly mirror your monthly goals, except you are only expected to have one goal for each of the 5 sections, 5 working days in a week.
– This will increase focus, enhance drive and lead the scope of your goals to increase your confidence in both goal setting and target completion develop and grow.
– Review daily and verbalise as often as possible
– Set yourself a prize/reward for achieving 4 out of 5 goals, and a larger more rewarding prize for 5 out of 5. Do not reward yourself for underachievement, the non-reward is important to your personal development
– Celebrate your own successes, this will improve your internal perception and make you feel like a million dollars
Goal setting is an important aspect of every part of a person’s life, whether that be personal or business goals. The most important step in addition to goal setting is actually achieving these goals. To learn more about SMART goals, using goal setting templates and most importantly having the practices in place to ensure these goals are achieved, so read about our methods of sales training, sales coaching, and sales courses. No matter if you are located in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast or anywhere in the world, we are able to assist in providing the most innovative ethical sales training.
Related Tag: Selling Techniques